Monday, September 29, 2008

for my FCS comPatriots

Mark B is soliciting memories from jr.high/high school on our FB group. While I will most likely refrain from the ultra embarrassing dating circle comments on discussion boards, I do have a post-Faith story to share. An over 10-year in the making embarrassing moment. Which I would never have had if I didn't attend FCS....and wasn't an advocate of ..ummm, "Pat-ri-ot Power."

In '97 the tv station where I was working also that hosted a few other talk shows besides the PBS nightly. Montel taped there. And The Daily Show. (This was when the Daily Show was hosted by Craig Kilborn --formerly of Sportscenter --guys, you remember him?)

So one night I went up to the 10th floor of the building to the accounting department to drop off some paperwork. It was late and only one elevator was working. The floors of the elevator were being redone. I got in on the first floor and pressed 10. I noticed the nice new floors and the echoing that resulted when I gently tapped my foot. And then.... totally out of nowhere... I started... "stomp-clap stomp stomp stomp-clap clap."
Ding. Floor 2.
This was going to be a local ride. I did it again. Added a few moves in the sequence. "Hit thigh, cross leg behind and tap foot with hand-stomp stomp-stomp clap." This is a cheer we used to start all the time at games (I must have been 15, but I challenged myself to remember....)
Ding. Floor 3.
And the words? We, We got it. They, They Want it. But they can't have it
We're the Best -yes !
Ding. Floor 4.
Messed up. Started again. That hit thigh cross leg move was always a timing challenge. This time stomping louder (but whispering -unsure of lyrics-help anyone? Lillian, Ang, Pam, Dee, Carrie Anne? Janelle?)
Ding. Floor 5.
Best, yes, Then all the Rest -yes! They may be Bold. But We've Got Control.
Ding. Floor 6.
Oooh.. Un-gala (?) Pa-tri-ot Power. Is this right? It doesn't rhyme?
I did the entire routine. Again. Who cares. No one was around except down on my floor way below. Stomping like mad. Ended with elbows bent; hands behind my back. Head down. Mrs. Williams would be so proud!
Ding. Floor 10. Doors open. I'm a little winded. I'm looking down.

But then I see his feet. 6 foot 5 Daily Show host Kilborn is leaning on the wall, waiting for the elevator. "Hi there." Flip-flops, shorts, dress shirt, tie. I pick up my expense report and step out.
"Should I even ask what you were doing in there - What was that ?" He asked as he peered in, looking for ...a co-captain?
"Oh, nothing." Patriot red, I walk past him down the hall.
Ding. Doors close.
"You know there are cameras in here !" he called out.
Whatever. ooooh. un-gala.

No comments: